Thursday, June 26, 2008

OH the lessons we learn!

Back in March we went down to St.George to watch Alyssa play in a softball tournament and Eric wanted to take some friends so we let him take the Honda and 3 friends down. We were about an hour behind them and just as we were leaving we get a phone call from Eric. "I just got pulled over and got a ticket." "How fast were you going?" I asked. Eric said "well he said I was going 100mph but i think i was only going 90 (in a 75 mph zone). Needless to say i wasn't real happy and let him know. I told him it would be an expensive ticket. Well we found out it was $232 and so Yvonne and I decided that being the responsible parent we are, and always trying to find ways to teach our kids about life, that we thought it would be good to fight the ticket, so that Eric could see how the judicial system works. Eric swears he wasn't going 100mph, and so if he could convince the judge of that, the ticket would drop to $150 plus we heard that most times the officers won't show up and the judge will rule in your favor if you put forth the effort to come in so we thought it would be a great experience. So we requested a time before the judge. When they finally gave us the date that we had to be in Nephi it was during graduation so we postponed it a couple of weeks to June 4th. At about 11pm that night after Eric came home he said "When was I suppose to go to court?" WOW we had completely spaced it. We couldn't believe that all 3 of us had completely forgotten about it. I called down to the court and they said since we didn't show up the judge charged him guilty and assessed the fine of $332 but if we paid in a week they would drop it to $232 which was the original amount. (so much for him having much of his first paycheck left) (Not to make a short story long BUT) we thought it was all over at that point but he received a notice from the DMV to come down and meet with them, so yesterday we went down and found out that he has to many points on his driving record now and his options were to have his license revoked for a month or go on probation for 1 year and if he doesn't get any more tickets his points will cut in half and then after 2 years of clean driving his points will be at zero. So we are hoping that he has learned a valuable lesson. I know we have!

4 comments:

Brenda said...

Yikes! That seems like a pretty stiff penalty. Maybe he'll go on a mission where he won't have to drive and then that year will pass pretty darn fast!

Staiger Smiles said...

I just have to smile because it reminds me of my younger years. Eric just had to get it out of his system before he left on his mission! :)Shantell

Staigerfamily said...

Very funny, lol! I can't believe you all forgot about the court date. Sounds like me, except I wouldn't have called my parents to tell them about it. They usually found out through increased insurance premiums. Better luck next time.

Unknown said...

wow, that is a steep ticket! When I read your blogpost my thoughts were exactly like Brenda's, maybe he will be sent on a mission someplace that he won't have to drive!